Terence and Ildikó are passionate about Nature. We love Wildlife, Birds in particular.
A few of our birding highlights include:
- A family of Blue Cranes breed on our property, seen above. The little one, pictured above between the parents, was born in December 2019. The youngster successfully made it to adulthood! We have spotted them on our property ever since.
- Red-chested Flufftail, lives and breeds in our small Wetland to the left of our dam.
- Secretary Birds regularly wander across the fields.
- European Roller and Lilac-breasted Roller spotted at the Lodge in 2016 and 2017.
- Bronze-winged Courser seen near the gate in February 2021.
- White-bellied Korhaan often heard and seen above the property in the open fields.
- Black Sparrow-hawk nests in the forest near the Lodge.
- We often see and hear Spotted Eagle Owl.
- In December 2022 we were graced with the presence of a beautiful African Emerald Cuckoo. Terence heard him singing “Pretty Georgie” and that is how he spotted him.
- We assist the Dullstroom Bird of Prey & Rehabilitation Centre with soft & hard releases of Birds and Wildlife.
- Greystone Lodge is a registered Birder Friendly Establishment with BirdLife South Africa.
BIRD SIGHTINGS AT THE LODGE
African Black Duck
African Emerald Cuckoo
African Fish Eagle
African Olive Pigeon
African Sacred Ibis
African Wattled Lapwing
Dikkop (Spotted Thick-knee)
Eastern Long-billed Lark
Greater Double-collared Sunbird
Greater Striped Swallow
Lesser Striped Swallow
Red-chested Flufftail (H)
South African Shelduck
Southern Masked Weaver
Southern Red Bishop